How do hot water tanks fail?
No household appliance works under tougher conditions than your water heater. Hot water tanks hold and transfer water continuously. When they break down, however, the damage it causes to your basement can be destructive and expensive.
Here are the main causes of hot water tank failure.
- Calcium and other mineral deposits accumulate on the bottom of the tank that corrode the tank liner and heater elements
- When the corroded bottom of a tank fails without warning, the water already in the tank and the continuously fed cold-water supply create a deluge
- If not stopped, this water will continue to flow throughout your basement
Signs of water heater failure include:
- Water accumulation beneath the heater
- A hissing or whistling sound
- Chronic hot water shortage
FLOOD DAMAGE CLEANUP FOR:
Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Coquitlam, Delta, North Vancouver, Richmond, New Westminster, Maple Ridge, Tsawwassen, Steveston, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, West Vancouver, White Rock, Marpole, Oakridge, Dunbar-Southlands, Kitsilano, Mt Pleasant, Killarney, UBC, West Point Grey, South Vancouver, Lynn Valley, Deep Cove, Belcarra, Anmore, Cloverdale, Pitt Meadows, Annacis Island, Metrotown, Burnaby Mountain