HOW TO GET RID OF MOULD ON WALLS IN YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS

Mould on the walls of your home or business is more than unsightly. It can also pose a serious health risk to occupants. Mould loves warm, moist environments, therefore, it is essential to provide any residential or commercial space with proper ventilation and maintain low humidity levels. Once mould has developed, it must be removed.

Removing Mould from Walls

Surface moulds grow in almost any damp environment, which makes bathroom, basement and even laundry room walls more susceptible to mould development. Small patches of mould on a painted wall often can be removed by scrubbing with a cleaning agent such as bleach, distilled white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide or a commercial product designed specifically for mould removal.

  • Always work in a well-ventilated area
  • Keep kids and pets away from the cleaning products and affected area
  • Always wear protective gear: long sleeves/pants, non-porous gloves, glasses and a mask
  • Test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure the cleaning product won't discolour or harm the walls

Note: If the cleaning agent does affect the paint, you may need to repaint the wall after cleaning.

  • Never mix bleach with ammonia or other cleaning agents
  • Spray the cleaning agent directly on the mould and allow it to sit for a few minutes
  • Scrub the mould away with a stiff-bristle brush
  • Rinse the area with warm water
  • Dry thoroughly with a clean cloth
  • Repeat the process if needed

If you decide to repaint walls after removing mould, opt for a mildew-resistant paint to inhibit the growth of future mould.

Preventing Mould

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends keeping humidity levels below 50 percent to prevent the growth of mould indoors. Running an air conditioner or dehumidifier can reduce indoor humidity in both homes and businesses.

Exhaust fans should be installed and used in all bathrooms and kitchens, venting heat and humidity outside. Likewise, your clothes dryer should be vented to the outside.

Stop moisture from entering a home or other building by sealing cracks in the foundation, in the attic and around windows, doors and walls.

Make sure all gutters are clear and that the downspouts divert water away from the foundation – you don't want water to pool next to the building.

Use mildew-resistant building materials and mildew-resistant paint when remodelling. You can also add mould inhibitors to regular paint.

When to Call in the Professionals

Mould is a serious issue. A small patch of mould on a wall often can be removed without professional help, but if mould issues persist after you've cleaned and performed prevention tactics, it's time to call in the experts. For larger mould issues, leave it to the professionals at ServiceMaster Restore for safe and effective clean up and removal.

ServiceMaster Restore professionals have completed comprehensive mould remediation training and employ the safest, most effective techniques for solving any mould issue. Our teams regularly handle small (ten square feet or less) areas affected by mould as well as larger spaces, both commercial and residential.